i’m back!! i have spent the last 39 hours in pittsburgh for work and its good to come back to la. stepped off the plane and got hit with 90 degree weather and bumper to bumper traffic on the 405 freeway. welcome home to me.
ive never been to pittsburgh (another check off my travel list. woo!). unfortunately this was a work trip, so i could only manage a few photos with my phone. the gist/feelings of my trip:
- the city is beautiful specially on a warm sunny afternoon.
- i fell in love with the steelers even more.
- pierogies rock my world! (imagine a potato inside of a dumpling! genius)
- crazy summer thunderstorms out of nowhere.
- black and yellow.
- fries on salad and inside a sandwich (mad shout out to primanti brother’s. thank you for making your sandwich a tradition of pittsburgh since 1933). so good.
- pirates vs. diamondbacks. amazing stadiums.
- the strip.
- i love pittsburgh. 39 hours is not enough. i will be back to visit you again.
there are only a few reasons why one would know about the valley (san fernando valley) or even venture over here:
- you lived/grew up here.
- you work here.
- you welcome 95-100 degree weather any day (and literally at time even at midnight)
- or you know about the valley’s little secret called get shaved.
its been a relatively mild summer. however, i feel like the heat’s been picking up and it officially feels like summer for me. this could be because it was the first time that i’ve lounged by a pool all summer. with the heat picking up and it being 85-88 degrees on average in our home, we have been going crazy with this dessert/ice cream business. enter: get shaved. it is the closest thing (in our opinion) to shaved ice in hawaii (still the best). i forgot to mention that there is brian’s shaved ice in santa monica, which is also pretty high up there in the ranking. anyway, hope you are enjoying this weather! i know that although i come out of the subway sweating, i’m enjoying every minute of it!
- favorite flavor: monkey brains.
- advice: its pretty filling. i cant finish a medium by myself. also, go for the ice cream. go big or go home.
- parking: ample
- service: good. considering they are making your little cup of heaven in a small, hot, cramped hut-like structure on a 90-degree day…and smiling. i consider that pretty darn good.
9255 Reseda Blvd
Northridge, CA 91324
i cant rave about this place enough. frog frozen yogurt. we have been here a couple of times now and love it because:
- yogurt is delicious with more non-chocolate flavors than chocolate (yay for me),
- the lighting here is awesome! they can change the colors for you if you ask!
- they give to the community! boom.
remember this post here? this is a mural by a local la artist, which was displayed for about a month and then auctioned off. proceeds go to a local non-profit organization. they feature local artists every month (i think this is awesome) and they also sell t-shirts with proceeds going to feedla! uh-mazing, right?
Frog Frozen Yogurt Bar
1550 Cahuenga Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90028
umami burger has been a favorite of mine for awhile now. it went from 2 little locations to now 11 locations, a delicatessen, and a truck (and it keeps on goin’)! to me, best burger = the socal burger at umami. (i am currently being challenged on this statement by a few people. more on that below).
i’m a big fan of the juicy juicy, well seasoned meat (they dont let you choose how well you want it cook because it comes medium rare) and the bun (oh so soft). anything that melts in your mouth is a done deal. i am not denying that it is a tiny burger and that it is pretty expensive for what you get. but i’d pay $12 for this little piece of heaven any day. dont take my word for it, go try it!
i love burgers. i love umami. but i am open to trying what others consider that “best burger ever.” on my list to try (and compare with my favorite): pie and burger, back abbey, golden state, stout, and rustic canyon. that way, i can actually list my top 5 burgers. am i missing any?
1520 N Cahuenga Blvd, Suite 7
Los Angeles, CA 90028