we finally made it to gjelina in venice. after recommendations from a few friends, we have been wanting to go here for quite some time now but every time we tried to go, (i) they were closed or (ii) there were no available reservations. we strolled in for brunch last saturday and got seated right away!
firstly, we didnt realize that the two things we wanted to try were not available for brunch/lunch: mushroom toast and butterscotch pot de creme w/ salted caramel. fail.
here is what we did get:
- hanger steak sandwich with roasted chili, arugula & horseradish aioli
- smoked mozzarella, confit tomato, jalapeño, arugula, lemon & bottarga
- salt and pepper frites with romesco & aioli
- wood roasted cauliflower with garlic, chili & vinegar
- strawberry rhubarb crumble with almond ice cream
- food: we loved the cauliflower and the strawberry rhubarb! the pizza was on the soggy side and the hanger steak sandwich wasnt the best. fries are always good.
- service: excellent. our waiter was awesome. informative. attentive. friendly. what more can you ask for?
- atmosphere: uber urban chic. loved the decor. it may be because we were there on a really hot, off day. it was so hot inside and our drinks didnt have any ice…. so that made it a little uncomfortable through our lunch.
- verdict: overall, we were underwhelmed at lunch/brunch time. however, we are open to going at dinner time and giving this place another try. it must have been an off day. i do believe that this place has more to offer than what we got this one saturday morning. until next time gjelina!
oh! please note that this place does not allow any substitutions or modifications. just fyi.
1429 Abbot Kinney Blvd
Venice, CA 90291
wowzers, that pizza looks amazing! Im reading this at 1pm and havent had lunch yet and your post is making me salivate! Best get to the lunch line!!! Have a great time in Venice!
lol this cracked me up.
Absolutely underwhelming. Tar & Roses, MB Post are doing the exact same fare, but just better. Even surprised by the excellent service as Gj’s FOH is known to be full of apathetic snots.
The restaurant gets so much great press, however I too was underwhelmed when I went there on two occasions. Pizza was nothing special, and the other dishes we got were just good, not great. But it is a uber hip environment! gotta love LA!